Road improvement update – A361 Banbury to Chipping Norton
Road users are being alerted to the temporary closure of a Wykham Lane junction and Ells Lane on the A361 while safety improvements are carried out.
The junction of Wykham Lane will be closed from 7am on 9 March for two weeks so that safety alterations to the kerb lines can be done.
Access to Ells Lane will be closed from 7am on 14 April for two weeks to complete pavement works linking the new shared footway, including new tactile pavement.
The work is being done as part of the £4.135m A361 Safety Improvements Project funded by DfT and initiated by the Road Safety Foundation, which aim at reducing the serious accidents and deaths by implementing safety improvements on A361 between Banbury and A3400 Roundabout in Chipping Norton.
The improvements being delivered by the A361 scheme include:
- Carriageway resurfacing and drainage - to improve skid resistance
- Vegetation clearance - to improve sightlines and visibility for drivers
- Footway improvements and conversion of the footway to a shared cycle/pedestrian facility - to create a safer environment for the users
- Wykham Lane and Bloxham Grove Road junctions’ improvements (e.g. removal of tapers to prevent divers from undertaking other vehicles, which was the main reason for all accidents at those sites),
- Road markings and signage improvements – review of all signs and road markings, installation of new /renewal of old road markings and signs. Introduction of road studs on all bends.
- Speed limits reduction
County Councillor Liam Walker, Cabinet member for highways operations and delivery said: “We appreciate the patience of local people and travelling public while we undertake the safety improvements.
“In the overall scheme of things, the impact of the works is temporary but this busy and dangerous section of A361 will ultimately see an improvement in the safety for all users and reduction in serious and fatal accidents, saving a predicted 27 lives in the next 20 years.
“Our team are working hard to get the job done as quickly as possible while taking into account the needs of residents and road users.
“The good news is that the end is in sight for this project and I would urge those travelling through the area to take note of the signs on site and marked diversion routes.”
All the main resurfacing, drainage, road marking and vegetation clearance works including improvements to Bloxham Grove Road junction and South Newington bend have been completed.
Wykham Lane works have been scheduled for 9 March (Phase 1 – civil works) and 23rd March (Phase 2 – resurfacing) and will be completed by the end of March 2020.
The shared footway and works are progressing well and are due to be completed in large at the end of March 2020, with the additional section from Ells Lane to crossing, the crossing conversion and small section around Vantage Business Park to be completed by the end of April.