New Oxford traffic measures in place for 23 October
Changes to some transport arrangements in Oxford will come into operation shortly.
From 23 October a number of changes consulted on over the last 18 months or so will come into effect including:
- A reduced number of buses per hour returning to Queen Street,
- Taxis and private hire vehicles will be prohibited from Queen Street,
- The existing cycle access arrangements in Queen Street will remain (i.e. cycling is permitted between 6.00pm – 10.00am),
- The taxi rank at Carfax (Queen Street) will be removed with a replacement being installed on Cornmarket Street,
- New / revised bus routes and bus stops will appear in the city centre for buses serving the Westgate and surrounding areas - more information can be found here
- There will be changes to loading and taxi bays on High Street
- There will be new ‘no loading, waiting and stopping’ restrictions (between the hours of 12:00 and 20:00) on High Street and St Aldates.
In addition, measures specific to the Westgate redevelopment will also come into operation such as;
- New bus stops on Castle Street, Norfolk Street and Speedwell Street,
- New no loading / no waiting restrictions on Castle Street Norfolk Street, Paradise Street, Abbey Place, Old Greyfriars Street, Speedwell Street (part) and Thames Street (part),
- New access restrictions with exemptions for local buses and cyclists on Norfolk Street, Abbey Place and Speedwell Street (part) and
- New access restrictions with exemptions for local buses, cyclists, taxis and private hire plus vehicles for loading on Old Greyfriars Street.
More details are available at https://www.oxfordshire.gov.uk/cms/content/connections-oxford-station