Give your views on Witney High Street improvements
Residents and visitors to Witney are being asked for their feedback and ideas to improve the town’s High Street and Market Square.
Oxfordshire County Council has today (5 September 2023) launched a four week survey to capture people’s views and ideas.
Proposals are being made to enhance the area and improve walking, wheeling and cycling. This follows the council’s decision, in 2021, to keep traffic restrictions in place. With fewer cars now travelling through the High Street and Market Square, the council wants to hear people’s views about how road space could be used to make the town centre a better place to spend time for shopping or leisure.
Councillor Duncan Enright, Oxfordshire County Council’s Cabinet Member for Travel and Development Strategy, said: “Our vision is for Witney High Street and Market Square to be a healthy, attractive and historically rich environment that complements the character and vibrancy of the market town while enabling better travel choices through improved opportunities for walking, cycling and the use of public transport.
“The scheme is at an early stage and a design yet to be developed. As such, we are keen to hear from Witney residents and businesses to really shape the plans for the town. We’ll use what we learn to develop a draft design for further consultation in autumn.”
People can take part in an online survey on the county council’s digital engagement and consultation platform, Let’s talk Oxfordshire. The consultation closes at 11.59pm on Tuesday 3 October 2023.
The online survey will be supported by two drop-in events for members of the public to find out about the project and speak to the team in person:
- Saturday 9 September 2023 – 10am - 4pm
Witney Methodist Church, 40 High Street, Witney OX28 6HG
- Tuesday 19 September 2023 – 4pm - 8pm
The Corn Exchange, 19 Market Square, Witney OX28 6AB
A further public consultation on the draft design will take place early next year, with construction expected in autumn 2024.
For more information about this release contact the Oxfordshire County Council communications team on 01865 323870 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to editors
- Supporting information, the survey and interactive map, as well as details of how to obtain printed copies of the survey or any information in an alternative format can be found at letstalk.oxfordshire.gov.uk/witney-high-street
- Feedback can also be emailed to email@example.com
- Project webpage: oxfordshire.gov.uk/witney-high-street
- Printed copies of the survey will also be available from the following locations:
- Witney Library, Welch Way, OX28 6JH
- Witney Town Hall, Market Square, OX28 6AG
- Witney Visitor Information centre, 3 Welch Way, Witney OX28 6JH
- Oxfordshire County Council, County Hall, New Road, OX1 1ND
Click Sign up to hear from us and receive the latest news and updates thanks to our fortnightly newsletter, Your Oxfordshire.