Get ready for Low Carbon Oxford Week
Oxfordshire County Council is supporting Low Carbon Week (13-21 June) - a community festival in Oxford with events to celebrate green living and inspire local people to take action.
The festival offers art, music, walks, cycling challenges, workshops, conferences and foodie events.
As a member of Low Carbon Oxford, a network of private, public and non-profit organisations, the county council is committed to contributing to Oxford’s future as a sustainable and low carbon city.
Council’s support to Low Carbon projects
The council works with the Low Carbon Hub and Oxford City Council to support community projects across the county.
- Oxford Bus Company trialling the use of double decker buses that can be wirelessly charged
- delivery of solar panels in schools and businesses
- pilot schemes for energy efficiency in homes
- insulation in social housing.
- leading on FoodWise, a project helping 250 small and medium companies in the hospitality business boost profits through cutting waste.
While the county council is involved in many projects to benefit residents in the county it also supports Low Carbon Week, organised by the City Council, as a unique opportunity to learn, have fun and participate in lowering personal carbon footprints.
Some of the highlights of Low Carbon Week:
- Low Carbon school assemblies. Throughout the week, local experts, writers and business leaders - including writer and journalist Danny Dorling - will deliver assemblies at local primary and secondary schools to talk about energy, waste and climate change.
- The 'Big Green Day Out' in Broad Street. Featuring solar panel making and cycle repair workshops, low carbon technologies to see and try out, the BMWi electric car, and stalls featuring local food, crafts and community groups.
- 'The Big Green Treasure Hunt'. Organised by Oxford Brookes University and University of Oxford, cycle or walk around 12 eco sites across the city for a chance to win some fabulous prizes, including a bespoke Brompton folding bike worth £1000
- 'Test Drive the Future' in Cutteslowe Park and take a spin in a top of the range electric car?
- Tandem Festival at Hill End between 19 and 21 June. The LCO Week finale will feature an exciting and eclectic mix of music, singing, drumming, dancing, talks, workshops, films, poetry, theatre and more.
Check the full list of events here and join in: www.lcoweek.org/events