Free electric blanket tests coming to Oxfordshire this autumn
Residents are being encouraged to take up the offer of a free electric blanket check, part of Oxfordshire County Council’s programme to ensure everyone is safe, as well as warm, this winter.
The electric blanket tests are normally very popular, with places limited. Therefore, they must be pre-booked:
The full list of dates and locations is provided below. The actual address and a specific time slot will be provided at time of booking:
- Monday 18 September – Oxford City
- Tuesday 19 September – South Oxfordshire
- Wednesday 20 September – Cherwell
- Thursday 21 September – West Oxfordshire
- Friday 22 September – Vale of White Horse
- Monday 2 October – Oxford City
- Tuesday 3 October – South Oxfordshire
- Wednesday 4 October – Cherwell
- Thursday 5 October – West Oxfordshire
- Friday 6 October – Vale of White Horse
Shelley Edwards, Senior Community Engagement Officer for Oxfordshire County Council’s trading standards team, explains:
"If the condition of a blanket is allowed to deteriorate there is the possibility it could become faulty, risking injury and fire.
“We want to ensure that electric blankets are still safe for use. So, come along and encourage any elderly neighbours to attend too. It is better to be safe than sorry.
“The tests are free, as are the refreshments but remember to pre-book!”
Testing electric blankets has taken place in Oxfordshire for over 20 years. The failure rate is still around 30 per cent, emphasising why it is so important to get electric blankets checked regularly.
Click Sign up to hear from us and receive the latest news and updates in our fortnightly newsletter, Your Oxfordshire.