Councillor John Sanders elected new County Council Chairman
Councillor John Sanders, the council’s elected representative for the Cowley Division, has taken over the role from Councillor Anne Purse of Wheatley who served for the 2014/15 council year.
Councillor Sanders has lived in Oxford for 38 years. He has worked for public utilities and local authorities as an IT consultant and project manager. He is a Freeman of the City of Oxford, a Governor at Oxford Spires Academy and has been a county councillor since 2005.
He is married to Gill, who is a fellow County Councillor and also an Oxford City Councillor and they have two grown-up sons.
Councillor Sanders said: “Having served as Deputy Chairman to Anne Purse during 2014/15 I am aware of what the job entails and I am looking forward to being out and about visiting all parts of the city and surrounding county and meeting Oxfordshire people. It is an honour and privilege to be elected to this role.”
Councillor Michael Waine has been elected to the role of Deputy Chairman. Cllr Waine was first elected to the council in 2005 and represents the Bicester Town Division.
Cllr Waine has lived in Bicester since childhood and taught in Oxfordshire for 37 years, 27 of which were as Headteacher of Glory Farm School. He is married with two children and four grandchildren
What is the role of the Chairman?
The chairman is the ceremonial head of the council. The chairman must be a serving county councillor, but must remain politically impartial. A chairman must not be a member of the Cabinet.
Ceremonial duties include:
• being the politically impartial civic leader of Oxfordshire
• promoting the objectives and services of the county council and Oxfordshire itself
• acting as an ambassador for the county council and Oxfordshire
• fostering community identity and pride.
Key responsibilities include:
• presiding over meetings of the full council
• accepting invitations on behalf of the county council to attend events
• inviting individuals and representatives of key organisations to events at County Hall and other venues.