Commuters urged to plan ahead as Ploughley Road/A41 junction improvements begin
Residents and commuters in Bicester are being advised that the Ploughley Road and A41 junction, near the village of Ambrosden, will be closed from 19 April to 30 November. Diversions will be in effect and travellers are being asked to plan their journeys in advance.
The closure of the road will allow final preparations to take place before construction begins on the new junction. The improved junction will include new pedestrian crossings and resurfaced shared-use footpaths and cycleways, as well as traffic lights for motorists. The work is being carried out to ensure the road can cope with future traffic demands.
Ploughley Road will be closed where it meets with the A41 and the closure will prevent entry and exit at that point onto either the A41 or Ploughley Road. The closure will be in effect 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Travellers can expect the following:
- Diversion via Ambrosden and Blackthorn Road onto the B4011 and then onto the A41 for travellers going south towards Ambrosden along the open section of Ploughley Road.
- Diversion onto the B4011, then onto Blackthorn Road and finally onto Ploughley Road for travellers on the A41 going towards Ploughley Road.
- Temporary traffic lights situated on the A41 where Ploughley Road meets the A41.
- The suspension of the Symmetry Park bus stop on Ploughley Road and the temporary relocation of the Symmetry Park bus stop on the A41 further along the A41 and identified by temporary bus stop signs on the pavements.
Walkers and cyclists will have access through the road closure along the existing Ploughley Road footpath to access Symmetry Park and the relocated bus stops.
Vehicles will continue to have access to Ambrosden from the east via the B4011. The villages of Blackthorn, Merton, Upper Arncott and Lower Arncott all remains accessible via the A41 and B4011.
Bill Cotton, Oxfordshire County Council’s Director for Environment and Place, said: “These junction improvements are crucial to keeping traffic moving in this busy part of Bicester, and will provide better provision for cyclists and pedestrians too.
“We have been preparing for the construction by investigating the site and clearing vegetation, and now need to close the junction so the remaining site clearance can take place safely and we can begin construction in the summer.
“We will keep delays and changes to journeys to a minimum, and I would encourage people to plan journeys in advance, check our website for full details of what to expect, and consider walking, cycling, or using public transport where possible.
I am grateful to residents and businesses for their patience while we make these improvements.”
When finished, the improved junction will include:
- banning turning left into Ploughley Road from the A41
- banning turning right out of Ploughley Road onto the A41
- a single lane accommodating the A41 eastbound for vehicles going ahead
- a pedestrian crossing to the east of the junction
- increased shared-use footpath/cycleway provisions
- kerb realignment
- introduction of a new junction with traffic lights
- introduction of new toucan crossings (allowing for pedestrian and cycle use)
- resurfacing / new footpath construction.
For more information about this release contact the Oxfordshire County Council and Cherwell District Council communications team on 01865 323870 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to editors
- For more details about the scheme visit https://www.oxfordshire.gov.uk/ploughleyroad