Biker Down motorcycle safety on the menu at H Café
Although the number of motorcyclists killed in Oxfordshire fell to one in 2015, the number being seriously injured increased to 93, making initiatives like Biker Down an important part of the fire service’s road safety campaign.
The motorcycle safety session will be held at the café in Oxford Road, Dorchester, Wallingford, Oxfordshire. It is aimed at motor cyclists and gives practical advice on not only how to avoid accidents but what to do if you are on the scene of an accident involving a biker.
Mick Clarke, Oxfordshire County Council Fire and Rescue Road Safety Manager and a keen motorcyclist said: “The actions taken in the first few moments after any accident can be crucial in minimising injuries and can make a real difference to the lives of those involved. But there can be some uncertainty about what to do in these situations for example would you know who is most at risk, how to protect the area or whether you should remove the helmet of a downed rider?
“The free Biker Down workshop offers people the chance to learn what to do should if they find themselves first on the scene of a crash where someone is injured. The workshop also covers essential first aid skills, when and how to safely remove a helmet and advice on practical skills to help avoid being involved in a crash.
“Motorcyclists make up 1% of road traffic but account for 19% of all road casualties. I would encourage all bikers to attend our free Biker Down workshop.”
The workshop is aimed at motorcyclists of all ages and experiences, delivered by firefighters from Oxfordshire Fire & Rescue Service. It is made up of three modules, including accident scene management, motorcycle specific first-aid training i.e. CPR, managing major bleeds and helmet removal and classroom-based tuition on the science of being seen.
Biker Down will be at:
• H Café, Berinsfield / Dorchester on Thames on Saturday the 19th March 2016 – starting at 10am
• FRS HQ, Kidlington on Thursday the 24th March 2016 – starting at 7.30pm
Interested in attending? Email BikerDown@Oxfordshire.gov.uk.
Not sure it’s for you? Take a look at the Biker Down Oxfordshire Facebook page for feedback and reviews from attendees. Or email: BikerDown@Oxfordshire.gov.uk for further information.
The media are invited to attend the Biker Down workshop at H Café on the 19th March at 10am.
• 19th March 2016
• At H Café, A4074, Berinsfield / Dorchester on Thames, OX10 7LY
• The media interested in being a participant in the Biker Down workshop at H Café on the 19th March should arrive at 10am. The workshop lasts 3 hours.
• Those wanting purely interviews and photos with bikers who've attended with workshop are invited to attend when workshop finishes, 1pm.
Notes to editors:
• This advice is part of Oxfordshire County Council’s Fire and Rescue Service’s 365alive initiative.
• For more information about the initiative, please visit www.365alive.co.uk
• Biker Down was developed by Kent Fire and Rescue Fire Bike Team to prepare motorcyclists should the worst happen on the roads.