Free electric blanket testing offered as the winter months approach
People in Oxfordshire who have electric blankets to keep them warm on Autumn and Winter nights are being urged to get them tested for free
As the autumn is approaching and the temperature is getting colder, Oxfordshire County Council Trading Standards & Fire and Rescue Services are offering free testing of such blankets to ensure people have a warm, safe winter.
Blanket testing is taking place at the following locations during October:
- Oxford - Monday 2 October
- Banbury - Tuesday 3 October
- Witney - Wednesday 4 October
- Wallingford - Thursday 5 October
- Abingdon - Friday 6 October
- Oxford - Monday 16 October
- Bicester - Tuesday 17 October
- Chipping Norton - Wednesday 18 October
- Thame - Thursday 19 October
- Wantage - Friday 20 October
Councillor Judith Heathcoat, Oxfordshire County Council’s Deputy Leader, said: ““I urge people to book their place at one of the testing days. As the cold winter months approach, many people will be dusting off their electric blankets ready for use.
"If the condition of the blanket is allowed to deteriorate there is the possibility that it could have become faulty, which could lead to injury and fire.
“We want to ensure that they are still safe for use, so come along and encourage any elderly neighbours to attend too. It is better to be safe than sorry.”
In 2016 831 blankets were tested and 177 blankets failed, a rate of 21%.
To book your safety check appointment call 01865 898642 or email: email@example.com
Notes to editors:
· This advice is part of Oxfordshire County Council’s Fire and Rescue Service’s 365alive initiative.
· For more information about the initiative, please visit www.365alive.co.uk