Action-packed week for Bicester library’s grand opening
A week-long fiesta of events, sights and sounds is coming to Bicester’s new community library to mark its official opening.
The flagship Oxfordshire County Council facility has already gained huge support from local residents, with more than 1,500 new members signing up since it first opened its doors to visitors in April.
From Monday 4 July, the venue will play host to live music performed by local school pupils, talks from authors and experts, special sessions for young children and events for local history buffs.
The council's Cabinet Member for Cultural Services Lorraine Lindsay-Gale said: “These events are obviously about celebrating the arrival of this fantastic new community building, but they are also about showcasing the sort of partnership work and innovation that’s starting to take off at our network of 43 Oxfordshire branch libraries.
“Our libraries have a huge amount to offer, and facilities like we now have in Bicester can serve as a real focal point for local communities to access a range of county council services as well as engaging in other activities.”
She added: “I would urge anyone who has yet to visit the library to come along next week to watch or take part in some of these exciting events.”
Programme of events:
Monday 4th July
- 10.30am: Launch Ceremony with local school children dressed up as book characters and a trumpet fanfare
- 1.20 to 2.30pm: Cooper School Buskers performing in the library
Tuesday 5th July
- 10am: Rhyme time
- 3.30pm: Dogs Trust Storytime
Wednesday 6th July
- 10.30-11am: Rhymetime with songs and rhymes for nought to two-year-olds
- 11.15 to 11.45am: Simple percussion for three and four-year-olds
- 3.45 pm: Bicester Music Club: Band performance
- 7.30 pm: Faith Martin author talk
Thursday 7th July
- 10am to 4.00pm: ‘Ask the Archivist’ provided by Oxford History Centre
- 5.30-6.30 pm: Bed time story time with activity
Friday 8th July
- 1.30pm to 2.30pm: Glory Farm School Buskers performing Shakespeare themed music in the library
- 2-2.30 pm: ‘Thomas the Tank’ Storytime with Bill Simpson of Buckinghamshire Railway Centre
Saturday 9th July
- 2.30 – 3.30pm: Cas Lester: Children’s story time
Sunday 10th July
- 2.30-3.30pm: Bicester Local History Society organised walk: Bicester’s Yards and back-yard businesses